12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread
A years ago I first found this recipe in my well used Martha Stewart Holiday Cookies Special Issue magazine. And I’ve been making them ever since. I LOVE them. Totally one of my very favorite cookies, although I never make them any time of year except at Christmas.
I love the sugar on the outside. I love the ginger and chocolate taste and the melty chocolate chunks? Yummo!
Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated peeled ginger
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsulfered molasses
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp boiling water
- 7 oz semi sweet chocolate, in 1/4 inch chunks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Line two baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and ginger on media, speed until lightened, about 4 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, beat until combined.
- Add molasses, beat until combined.
- In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in boiling water.
- Beat in half of flour mixture into butter mixture.
- Beat in baking soda mixture, then remaining flour mixture.
- Mix in chocolate, turn onto plastic wrap.
- Pat out into a 1 inch thickness and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven 30 325 degrees. Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls, place 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Chill 20 minutes.
- Roll in granulated sugar.
- Bake until surfaces just begin to crack, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
One of my favorites for sure. Especially when warm and the chocolate chunks are all melty.
So very yummy. Thanks Martha Stewart!
More posts like this: