It was my mother in laws birthday last week and so I made a lovely cake I found in Martha Stewarts book aptly called Cakes. It’s a great book with a WHOLE lotta great cakes. All different kinds: loaves, bundts and tubes, coffee cakes, single layer, cheesecakes, icebox, cakes with fruit and layer cakes. I think I’ve made 5-6 cakes in the book and everyone I’ve loved! This one was totally good too! Now these aren’t the best pics, I snapped them quickly with my iPhone before we rushed over to their house and scarfed this baby down warm from the oven with some whipped cream on top!
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature plus more for baking dish
- 1 3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp all purpose flour plus more for baking dish
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 cup packed sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp finely grated lime zest plus 2 Tbsp of fresh lime juice
- 3 cups berries such as raspberries, blackberries and blueberries
- 3 Tbsp orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9x13 baking dish; dust with flour, tapping out extras.
- In a large bowl, which together 1 3/4 cup flour, the baking powder, salt and coconut.
- With an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until pale and fluffy, scraping down sides as needed, about 4 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, add flour mixer in 3 batches, alternating with 2 batches of buttermilk, beat until combined. Stir in lime zest and juice.
- Transfer batter to prepared dish; smooth with an offset spatula.
- In a medium bowl, toss berries with remaining 1 tablespoon flour and 1 tablespoon of sugar and orange juice.
- Scatter berries over batter.
- Bake until cake is golden at edges and a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool 20 minutes, serve warm or at room temperature.
The lime is SUCH a lovely taste in it! So good. Nice work Martha (and her crew!)
More posts like this: