A years ago I first found this recipe in my well used Martha Stewart Holiday Cookies Special Issue magazine. And I’ve been making them ever since. I LOVE them. Totally one of my very favorite cookies, although I never make them any time of year except at Christmas.
I love the sugar on the outside. I love the ginger and chocolate taste and the melty chocolate chunks? Yummo!
Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated peeled ginger
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsulfered molasses
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp boiling water
- 7 oz semi sweet chocolate, in 1/4 inch chunks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Line two baking sheets with parchment and set aside
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and ginger on media, speed until lightened, about 4 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, beat until combined.
- Add molasses, beat until combined.
- In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in boiling water.
- Beat in half of flour mixture into butter mixture.
- Beat in baking soda mixture, then remaining flour mixture.
- Mix in chocolate, turn onto plastic wrap.
- Pat out into a 1 inch thickness and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven 30 325 degrees. Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls, place 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Chill 20 minutes.
- Roll in granulated sugar.
- Bake until surfaces just begin to crack, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
One of my favorites for sure. Especially when warm and the chocolate chunks are all melty.
So very yummy. Thanks Martha Stewart!