There are lots of basic recipes that I think are handy to have on hand. And one is an easy and quick white cake. Maybe you don’t have a cake mix and you still wanted to make cupcakes. Or make a trifle that has a white cake in it. Or layered cake. This is that kind of recipe. It’s one that comes from my grandma. She made it up a few years ago.
It is quick and easy and makes a moist cake with a nice crumb.
- 2 2/3 cup cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar + 1/2 cup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3/4 cup milk + 1/4 cup milk
- 5 eggs separated
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine cake flour, baking powder, salt and 1 cup sugar in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add in oil and 3/4 cup milk. Beat together. It'll be really stiff.
- Add in egg yolks and 1/4 cup milk and vanilla. Beat that until smooth. (Should be quite thin.)
- In another bowl beat up your 5 egg whites until stiff and slow add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until it turns to a stiff meringue. The fold the cake flour mix into the egg whites. (Don't beat it - just fold it in.)
- Bake in a preheated oven until top is golden brown or a toothpick into the middle comes out clean. Works well for cupcakes (13-15 minutes) or round cakes (20-23 minutes).
For these ones I added a lemon butter meringue icing and a single lemon jelly bean.
More posts like this: