Last week I was at a potluck where someone had brought a super yummy salad. So I had to find out what it was. Pretty tasty and actually quite easy. It’s a chilled salad so it’s a great thing to take to Potlucks or make ahead. I found a few recipes that looked similar with small differences and ended up with this one from Salu-Salo. She has lots of really great looking recipes on her site!!
Ebi Sunomono: Japanese Shrimp Salad
- 150 g bean thread vermicelli
- 100 g cooked small shrimp
- 1/2 English cucumber peeled
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 4 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 1 lemon, halved and sliced thinly
- Cut cucumbers into thin slices. Sprinkle with 1 tsp salt and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Rinse to remove salt and drain.
- Cook the noodles in boiling water until just tender. Rinse in cold water and drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine rice vinegar, sugar and soya sauce. Add the noodles, toss, cover and chill for one hour.
- To serve, divide cold vermicelli into 5 serving bowls. Top with shrimp, cucumber and lemon. Enjoy.
It’s different and that’s why I liked it! I used the shrimp we had which were jumbo not small at all 😉