So after reading that title are you thinking what the heck is a torte? Well it’s like a cake. But usually it has little to no flour (which kind of makes the name redundant) and often the flour is replaced by ground nuts. This one has no ground nuts just no flour. I did some reading about them and it seems there is a bit of debate about the exact specifications of ground nuts or no ground nuts. Torte also comes from the word “cake” in German.
This recipe comes from the Food Network. I’ve made it a few times and it’s always worked out and always been tasty. Lucy loves it with a little icing sugar sprinkled on top and a raspberry.
Flourless Chocolate Torte
This recipe comes from the Food Network
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 Tbsp) of unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more the pan
- 12 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter the bottom and side of a 9 inch springform pan. Combine the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl. Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (do not let the bowl touch the water) and stir until melted and combined. Remove the bowl from the saucepan and let cool slightly.
- Combine the eggs, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer on medium high speed until pale and thick, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Gently fold half of the melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture until just combined, then gently gold in the rest. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the top is no longer shiny and barely jiggles and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few crumbs, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack and let cool completely in the pan. Remove the springform ring and transfer to a platter; dust with cocoa powder.
You can melt your chocolate and butter in the microwave, by using 1 minute increments and watching it very closely so it does not burn. We like icing sugar dusted on top instead of cocoa.
So in a recap, A torte:
- Has little or no flour,
- Almost always round often with elaborate designs and glazes over top
- Is heavier in texture and taste
- Rises very little in baking
Now that list shouldn’t be scary 😉 This one is super easy and quick. And its gluten free, you know if you are into that sort of thing. It’s tasty, and I’m into that sort of thing.
More posts like this: