Nothing screams Christmas time like little gingerbread men. Now there are no professional decorators in our house but lots of kids and adults who play around. So these are not decorated in any fancy way, but we all had fun.
And that means Christmas to me!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup molasses
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and molasses.
- With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture; mix until just combined.
- Divide dough in half; fallen disks. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks set in upper and lower thirds.
- Working with one disk at a time, place dough on lightly floured parchment paper, and roll out to 1/8 inch thick, dusting lightly with flour as needed.
- Using paper, lift dough onto two baking sheets; freeze until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Remove paper and dough from baking sheets and cut out shapes with cookie cutters and brush off any excess flour and Transfer to baking sheets.
- For softer cookies, bake 8 to 10 minutes, for crunchier ones bake 11 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer to rack to cool completely.
So much fun for kids to play and decorate.
These are totally Christmas!
More posts like this: