It’s Halloween month. At our house Halloween doesn’t really start until after Lucy and Alden’s birthday’s. (That and the fact that Regan hates Halloween so he’d hate if we centered on that all month long!) But here is a easy and fun treat that can be for Halloween or even for a Monster Birthday party. First make some Monster Cookies.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups uncooked old fashioned oats
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups candy (any combination of chocolate chips, m&m's, nuts, etc)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine sugar, shortening, water, eggs and vanilla.
- Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
- Add oats, flour, salt and baking soda.
- Beat at low speed until soft dough forms.
- Stir in chocolate chips (and whatever other additions you added!)
- Drop by 1/2 cup onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Flatten dough out with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheets.
- Cool completely.
Then after your cookies have cooled all the way, you set them out onto the counter and add a scoop of ice cream in the middle.
I used a knife to cut the scoop in half and then spread it out.
Then add another cookie on top, carefully squishing it together.
Then wrap the cookies and freeze them.
If you want to hand them out, you can wrap them in saran wrap and add a cute printable with some washi tape.
If you want to download the printable, just click on the image or go here.