I used to live around the corner from a lovely family and the momma and I became good friends. Love her and miss her. I still get to see her once a month for sure with my dinner club and I am glad. One of the things I learned from her while I lived by her was this lovely cookie recipe. My kids LOVE It. And I like that you can use old bananas in something besides banana bread (not that we aren’t big banana bread fans around here.) It’s just one more yummy thing to add bananas into.
Soft Banana Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 ripe bananas, well mashed
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the Icing
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp cream
- 6 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 cups* icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugar
- Add egg, vanilla and mashed bananas.
- Combine dry ingredients and add to banana mixture. (The dough is very soft.)
- Drop by tablespoons onto prepared pans.
- Bake from 10-12 minutes, just until they are a little brown on the bottom (do not over cook!)
- Remove to wire racks and let cool while you make icing.
- In a medium sized pot, melt butter with cream and brown sugar.
- Bring to a soft boil and add in part of the icing sugar. You want it to start to thicken up. Not too runny but still flows.
- Then spoon icing over cookies on the wire racks while the icing is still hot.
- Let icing set.
So thanks to Marie for being such a good neighbor and staying in our lives AND giving me a great cookie.