12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Sugar Cookies
Who doesn’t have sugar cookies some time at Christmas? Different shapes and then the kids decorate (usually with way to much icing and candy).
I’m not the biggest fan of actually EATING sugar cookies but I do like these. They are still soft, which I love since I hate eating cardboard covered in icing.
Just perfect for little hands to decorate and eat after.
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in egg.
- Beat until thoroughly mixed in.
- Add vanilla and almond flavoring.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder in another bowl.
- Add into butter mixture along with milk and combine well.
- Roll dough into a ball with your hands and cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour.
- Roll out in between two parchment paper paper sprinkled with a little bit of flour to 1/8 inches thick.
- Bake 6 - 8 minutes or until the edges just barely start to get brown.
- Let cool on racks and then ice.
Easiest icing this time with 2 cups of icing sugar and 2 Tbsp of meringue powder and 4 Tbsp of water.
I love these snowflake cookie cutters! I have some from Martha Stewart and one from Presidents Choice (Superstore) and one other one too. Love them!
More posts like this: