I love muffins and quick breads. They are tasty, easy and yummy! I’ve tried a few recipes before but I found one that is fantastic!! I adjusted it a tiny bit but mostly it is the same. Give it a try, you’ll love these!
Very Berry Scones
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp unsalted butter frozen
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries and chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cps all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a cheese grater, grate your frozen butter onto a sheet of parchment paper. Then place it back into the freezer.
- Whisk milk and sour cream together in a medium bowl and place back in the fridge until needed.
- Whisk flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest in another bowl. Add frozen grated butter and toss together with your fingers until butter is coated.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture and fold with rubber spatula until just combined.
- Transfer dough on to a really floured counter. Sprinkle top of dough with flour and with floured hands, knead dough 6 to 8 times, until it just holds together.
- Roll dough into 12 inch square. Fold dough into thirds like a business letter. Lift short ends again so that it folds into a 4 inch square. Transfer dough onto a lightly floured plate and put into your freezer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer dough back to the floured counter. Roll into a 12 inch square again. Sprinkle blueberries and chopped strawberries on top of dough. Press down slightly with your hands to embed the fruit into the dough.
- Roll the dough up into a cylinder, pressing to form a tight log. Put log seam side down and then pressing lightly into a 12 by 4 inch rectangle.
- Using a floured bench scraper or knife, cut rectangle crosswise into 4 equal rectangles. Then cut each diagonally to form 2 triangles and place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bush tops with 2 melted tablespoons of butter and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp sugar. Bake until tops are golden brown about 18 - 25 minutes. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving
- If you want to add a little glaze, combine a 1/4 cup icing sugar and 2 Tbsp of water, mix well and pour over top after they have cooled for 10 minutes.
I’ve made them a few times already. First with just Blueberries like the original recipe calls for and then with both berries.
I added the icing too…. cause i’m like that.